U Boat 65 The Ghost on the Prow

Early submarines were dangerous places to work, and most men who served on them died at sea, it was said the sailors who served on one particular vessel, U-65, were more terrified of the ghost that haunted their ship than they were of confronting enemy forces at sea. It was during construction that bad fortune began to dog this particular boat. A heavy metal girder that was being lowered into position to be welded into the hull, slipped from the crane tackle and crashed down into the partially constructed boat, killing a German workman instantly. A second man was so seriously hurt in the accident he died in a hospital a few days later. Before U-65 was launched, three men died in the engine room when they were overcome by poisonous fumes. Thus a total of five workers died before this boat ever was put to sea. While on her sea trials, a seaman who was sent forward to inspect hatches was swept overboard and lost at sea. 

When U-65 made its first test dive, instead of leveling out at 30 feet the boat dropped to the bottom of the sea when a forward ballast tank fractured. She remained trapped there for 12 hours while flood water got to the batteries and flooded the sub with toxic fumes. By the time the boat freed itself from the sea bed and broke to the surface again, the entire crew was violently ill. Two of the sailors died in a hospital from the poisoning. When the boat was commissioned in February, 1917, U-65 was placed under the command of Oberleutuant Karl Honig. While torpedoes were being loaded for the boat’s first patrol, a warhead exploded, killing the Second Officer and eight seamen. Nine other sailors were seriously wounded. This is where the ghost first makes its appearance. While the vessel was being towed back into dry dock for repair, a seaman hysterically reported that he had seen the ghost of the Second Officer standing on the prow, his arms folded. Another sailor named Petersen said he also saw the ghost. The day before U-65 was to set off on her first patrol, Petersen deserted. While on that patrol, several men on that boat reported seeing the ghost of that Second Officer. They said one night the duty officer was found on the bridge, sobbing. He said he saw the ghostly figure standing on the ship’s prow.  

In February, 1918, after a patrol in the Dover Straits, U-65 had just docked at Bruges when the port came under attack by British aircraft. Captain Honig was decapitated by flying shrapnel as he stepped on the gang plank. His headless body was thrown back on the deck. That night nine men, including an officer, saw the ghost of the Second Officer standing beside the canvas shroud of the captain’s corpse. After this incident, the entire crew requested a transfer from U-65 and the boat was placed in reserve at Bruges. The problem was so serious, a German Naval minister, the Rev. Franz Weber, conducted an exorcism of the ship. On June 30 she set out on what was to be her last patrol. As the story is told, U-65 was spotted by U.S. submarine L-2 while patrolling off the coast of Ireland. While L-2 was at periscope depth, the German U-Boat was traveling on the surface. T The American moved his submarine into the attack position and was about to give the order to fire two torpedoes when there was a shattering explosion that ripped the U-65 from stem to stern. The captain was later to report that immediately before the explosion he was amazed to see the solitary figure of a German naval officer standing on the prow of the U-boat.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s