Fort Leavenworth, Kansas is the oldest active Army post west of the Mississippi River. It was established in 1827 by Colonel Henry Leavenworth and the men of the 3rd Infantry Regiment. The 5,600 acres fort is the home of the Command and General Staff College, the National Simulation Center, and the United States Disciplinary Barracks. In the early years, Fort Leavenworth was the primary base of operations on the Indian Frontier. When the Kansas Territory was established in 1854, Governor Andrew Reeder set up offices on post and lived there for a short time. The quarters where he lived are now known as “The Rookery.” Camp Lincoln was established as a training station for Kansas volunteers during the Civil War. Throughout its long history, the post was never attacked by an enemy. The School of Application for Cavalry and Infantry was established by General William T. Sherman, in 1881. The school eventually became the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College. Dwight D. Eisenhower, Omar N. Bradley and George S. Patton were all graduates of the school. On July 17, 1862, Abraham Lincoln established twelve national cemeteries, including The Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery. Veterans since the War of 1812 have been buried in the cemetery. The following facilities are open to the public: the national cemetery, museum, monuments and many interesting 19th century buildings.
Numerous facilities on Fort Leavenworth are reported to be haunted. The Lady in Black, is the ghost of a woman in a black dress and shawl that has appeared in two different houses along Sumner Place. Originally she haunted the house at 16 Sumner Place, but after her spirit was exorcised she reportedly moved next door to the house at 18 Sumner Place. She has been seen looking through the attic window at the street below. She also likes to help the family living there with the household chores and childcare. The McClellan Officer’s quarters is haunted by a restless spirit of a man with a mustache and goatee. He has appeared in the flames in the fireplace.The Rookery at 14 Sumner Place, built in 1832, is believed to be one of the most haunted houses in the state. The most famous ghost is that of a angry woman with long hair and fingernails that may be the ghostly victim of some violent attack. Another ghost is that of an old woman who has been observed chattering in the corner. The ghost of a young angry girl has also been seen in the house. The Sheridan Home, at 611 Scott Avenue, is haunted by the vengeful apparition of Mrs. Sheridan, the wife of General Philip Sheridan. Her husband left her on her deathbed to go to Chicago on business. She never forgave him for leaving her.
The oldest ghost on Fort Leavenworth is that of a young priest named Father Fred. He was killed in 1875 when the church and rectory burned down; a new house was built on the same spot. His apparition has appeared in the house’s fireplace, in the kitchen and other places throughout the house.